Malaysia Airlines Flight 370

Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, a Boeing 777-200ER carrying 227 passengers and 12 crew, disappeared from radar at 2:40 a.m. Malaysian time (1:40 p.m. EST) on it's way from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. Among passengers were 4 Americans (one of which was an infant) and 2 Canadians. About half of an hour ago, the Vietnamese Navy confirmed that the plane has crashed 150 miles off of one of their nation's islands. This is the first time ever that a Boeing 777 has been involved in a high fatality plane crash. RIP to all 239 souls aboard the plane.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/mis...t-board-n47516
    Last edited by nwt0; 03-07-2014 at 10:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jelly View Post
    I bet you don't have Goodyear tires on your car that you fill up at your local Sunoco gas station and have Nationwide Insurance that you can call on your Sprint phone because you got in an accident in front of a Camping World.
    RIP Jason Leffler 1975-2013

Still missing over a week later... sheesh. Governments can track a phone easily but can lose a plane...? Not saying it's a conspiracy at all, something just seems very fishy to me here.

and a week later we still know nothing. they cant rule out anything without knowing anything. just saying since the news can go on for a week straight about nothing...lol

and i am no aviation expert. but I just read in the paper today that planes still use radar technology developed in the 50's and that it would cost millions to implement GPS systems (wouldnt that be worth it right now?)

Apparently there was communication with the engine sensors 7 hours past the last communication with the planes navigation system.

PTRW Champion
    Veteran Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by David24 View Post
    but I just read in the paper today that planes still use radar technology developed in the 50's and that it would cost millions to implement GPS systems (wouldnt that be worth it right now?)

Thats not really true....
    the basis for Modern ATC RADAR and ATC procedures did start in the 50s, but we have advanced alot and to be honest, most planes cannot be track off RADAR unless the transponder is working, the primary target that the RADAR gives would be assumed noise (essp at a great distance from the RADAR station) and not even show up on the Controllers Screen, however investigators can get the RADAR 'tapes' and view all the data the computer calls noise. Of course all of that would assume that Malaysia and SE Asia have RADAR that matches American RADAR.

Also, the industry is in a period were we are transitioning to a new system (ADS-B iirc) that would more or less replace RADAR, but as with anything it takes time to do this and far flung parts of the world may not see this until 2050.

I will say i'm glad yall have been unlike network news and been waiting for them to find something before trying to give a reason.
    "If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself."
    Ferdinand Porsche

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." Steve McQueen [Le Mans] 1971

PTRW Champion
    Racing Legend
    I have been told by a person who would know that radars in that part of the world are terrible.

PTRW Champion
    Racing Legend

PTRW Champion
    Veteran Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by WCPainter View Post
    I have been told by a person who would know that radars in that part of the world are terrible.
    I'd bet they are but I am not expert in the Malaysian infrastructure, or much of anything about the place.
    "If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself."
    Ferdinand Porsche

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." Steve McQueen [Le Mans] 1971

Australia is reporting that they may have found debris off their coast. In sharp contrast to the countries of the region, I trust Australia when they say something like this-- ultimately their government has a great track record.

Administrator Hall of Fame S_Gibson's Avatar
    No way, the pilot had a multi-monitor flight simulator and had an argument with his wife. He must have done it.

The way this whole thing is handled by the media is absurd, but Obama loves it because they have stopped talking about his incompetence for a few weeks.
    Stupidity was meant to be painful!

Quote Originally Posted by S_Gibson View Post
    No way, the pilot had a multi-monitor flight simulator and had an argument with his wife. He must have done it.

The way this whole thing is handled by the media is absurd, but Obama loves it because they have stopped talking about his incompetence for a few weeks.
    i hear ya, The fact that he keeps pushing Russia is confusing me.... The man wanted the people to vote....so they did.... results where unanimous the people want to be part of Russia...Obama continues to try and start a fight with Russia.

how many more years of him left Gib?

Administrator Hall of Fame S_Gibson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bergeron View Post
    i hear ya, The fact that he keeps pushing Russia is confusing me.... The man wanted the people to vote....so they did.... results where unanimous the people want to be part of Russia...Obama continues to try and start a fight with Russia.

how many more years of him left Gib?
    November 8, 2016 we will vote for our next President. January 20, 2017 we will inaugurate our next President by allowing them to lie and tell us they will uphold our Constitution. Biggest liar to date has been Barack Hussein Obama II, but in 1036 days the worst President in US history will be out of the White House.
    Stupidity was meant to be painful!

November 8, 2016 we will vote for our next President. January 20, 2017 we will inaugurate our next President by allowing them to lie and tell us they will uphold our Constitution.
    Like sticking a knife in me...

Biggest liar to date has been Barack Hussein Obama II, but in 1036 days the worst President in US history will be out of the White House.
    ...and then twisting it.

Start & Park Driver
    They ought to bring in NASCAR officials to search for the plane. They're great at spotting debris when nobody else can see it!

Quote Originally Posted by Astat View Post
    They ought to bring in NASCAR officials to search for the plane. They're great at spotting debris when nobody else can see it!
    haha aweosme! should make a meme

Banned Tire Carrier
    November 8, 2016 we will vote for our next President. January 20, 2017 we will inaugurate our next President by allowing them to lie and tell us they will uphold our Constitution. Biggest liar to date has been Barack Hussein Obama II, but in 1036 days the worst President in US history will be out of the White House.
    Worst President? Not even close.

Didn't know Buchanan and Harding were back in office.....Look, I'm not a fan of Obama either but worst president in history? No way. The previous two I mentioned make Obama and Bush look like Lincoln and Washington. Also I like how you snuck in his name in there. Like that's actually a valid criticism? There's plenty you can criticize him for but it's the dude's middle name. It's not his fault for that.

Banned Tire Carrier
    Doesn't matter who the next President is anyway. Things won't change and you will hate him too, so counting down the days is pointless.

PTRW Champion
    Car Owner
    I feel really bad for the families. The uncertainty...did the plane land...did it crash...are their loved ones alive or dead. I believe it crashed...but until they find the plane the families will never have closure.
    The M1 Garand, “The greatest battle implement ever devised.” - General George S. Patton