Thread: Tree Sap?

Technical Admin Owner's Champion STEVE's Avatar

Tree Sap?

Any ideas for keeping tree sap off my car? Every morning, I wake up and my car is covered in a fine "mist" of sap. I don't want to damage my paint by having this happen all the time. I've been washing the car every few days to keep it clean -- a typical wash with nothing special cleans the sap right off.

Short of removing the tree (not an option as it's not my tree and it's massive) and using a car cover, do I have any other options? Anybody else have to deal with this?
    "I'm going to start calling Dylan Kwasniewski 'Awesome Bill' because of his hat's bill."

Park in a new spot? IDK, I'd get a car cover, or maybe some carport/ EZ up setup to prevent it.
    "Block me once, that' ok. Block me twice, you're going into the grandstands"
    - Kyle Petty

Yea I have. It sux . I think the car cover would be the best option, but you will have to wash it once a week or so probably anyway .

Man, the pollen is THICK this year and that stuff is all over around here. Gets on everything ...
    Ozark CCW ~ Protect yourself, don't be a victim.
    An armed society is a polite society.

Super Moderator Hall of Fame Mike Henry Jr's Avatar
    Other than a car cover, only thing I can think of is trying a simple carport.

Also, make sure you have a nice coat of wax on your car. It'll help protect the paint. Typically sap doesn't come off as easy as you described so be careful.

Cut down tree anyways.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=231314_0_0_

This stuff keeps pretty much anything from sticking to your car, and takes anything right off that does stick.

Administrator Paul Menard Approved Brandon Lutz's Avatar
    Step 1:

Wash car in dawn to strip your wax off. Then wash it again with car wash soap. (I like Adam's car shampoo)

Step 2:

Dry your car and polish it to remove any imperfections if need be. (I like using Adam's detail spray in conjunction with their great white waffle drying towel)

Step 3:

Get the stuff mentioned in this thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233695

It is awesome and is good for at least 5 years. Apply it to areas that get the most sap, or just do the whole car.

You won't have to wax for another 5 years and nothing will stick to it. Plus, once it cures, it is 10 times tougher than your clear coat. I've done the front of my car and bugs won't even stick to this stuff.
    The Swamp jumping, Gator Ridin', Cajun RuRaMoFo.

I suffer the same issue, I wait til my dad leaves tho then I force him to take my spot while I "borrow" his.
    "You can't race around a jackass." -- Clint Bowyer

Pour maple syrup all over the car of the person whose tree it is. He'll get the picture eventually.

PTRW Champion
    Veteran Driver
    I have four plans

Plan A: Build a car port or garage to enclose the car

Plan B: Remove the tree

Plan C: Car cover

Plan D: Deforestation.
    "If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself."
    Ferdinand Porsche

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racingís important to men who do it well. When youíre racing, it... itís life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." Steve McQueen [Le Mans] 1971

Quote Originally Posted by T18 View Post
    I have four plans

Plan A: Build a car port or garage to enclose the car

Plan B: Remove the tree

Plan C: Car cover

Plan D: Deforestation.
    D.1: With Fire
    Wingz
    @mryaz88

RuRa's Drug Lord Paul Menard Approved Phathead's Avatar
    Add some glitter to the sticky spots and claim you're Ke$ha

I live in the forest. The best thing I've discovered is that you just have to deal with all the sap, pollen, leaves, nuts, etc. It's a pain, but short of having a garage/carport, there's not much you can do about it. Best advice is to just try to keep your car clean.

Technical Admin Owner's Champion STEVE's Avatar
    Thanks, guys. Carport and moving the car aren't really options as I'm in a mobile home park and we have a designated parking pad. We're not supposed to have car covers, either. Guess I'll just have to deal with it until I can afford the stuff in Brandon's post.

I do keep the car waxed, which helps me get the sap off pretty easily. It's just annoying -- even if I go home for an hour or two, I'll have a new layer of sap. My girlfriend's windows get stuck and won't open when she parks her car.
    "I'm going to start calling Dylan Kwasniewski 'Awesome Bill' because of his hat's bill."

Sell car. Ride bicycle.

Administrator Paul Menard Approved Brandon Lutz's Avatar
    Maybe buy one of those EZup tents? You can get them in various sizes and the EZups you can buy tarp walls to mount on the sides.

The only thing is if you go that route, stake that thing down well if you don't want a strong gust of wind picking it up and slamming it into your car.

Also word of advice about car covers: NEVER put them on a dirty car. The car cover during the putting on/removal process will drag any dirt on the car and scratch your paint. Only put on a car cover after the vehicle has been cleaned.
    The Swamp jumping, Gator Ridin', Cajun RuRaMoFo.

Keeping it clean is the first line of defense. However, if you get some big globs stuck on overnight or something make sure you use DENATURED ALCOHOL to remove the sap; you can find it at hardware stores typically. It won't smear the sticky inside around like solvents will (especially Acetone).