2012 Formula 1 - Scuderia Ferrari

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Formula 1 - Scuderia Ferrari

After postponing the launch of the car and driving a Jeep around snow-covered Maranello yesterday, Ferrari finally showed off their new F2012 today.

There's something I like, and then there's something I loathe about this car. Has a very 90's feeling to it.

I'm thinking it reminds me of the F310B from 1997....
    Last edited by Richard Hammond; 02-03-2012, 03:31 PM.
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/domain-asse...com/banner.png

That is one of the ugliest noses to an F1 car ever.....I hope for their sake it is fast.
    Photos on Flickr - New Historic Racing images added. Check 'em out and comment yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Hammond View Post
      I'm thinking it reminds me of the F310 from 1997....
      F310B
      Last edited by Lastlap; 02-03-2012, 09:26 AM.
      "I don't want to become famous because I had a big wreck..." - Michael McDowell.

Comment

Bigger Shots:

Comment

Originally posted by Chev_350 View Post
          That is one of the ugliest noses to an F1 car ever.....I hope for their sake it is fast.
          Welcome to the new technical rules package!

Comment

man people werent kidding when they said that car was ugly or should I say "radical"

7-Time Champion
            2016 Sprint Cup Series Champion

2017 O'Reilly Auto Parts 500 @ Texas Winner

Comment

That stair-step nose is hidious. At least McLaren was able to get around it.
              "Cheese is one of the four pillars of the world" - Eli Silverman

Comment

The nose looks like a Lego's model someone put together wrong.
                @Ebrennan45

Comment

I don't see how it'll be aerodynamic anyway. Why they didn't go the route McLaren went with the gradual slope in the nose is really beyond me.
                  https://s3.amazonaws.com/domain-asse...com/banner.png

Comment

Love the exhaust layout. Other than the bump, she's a beauty. Another wonderful car from Maranello.

Comment

Makes the DW12 look like a 93 Reynard

Comment

No kidding
                        On this day its so real to me. Everything has come to life.
                        Another chance to chase a dream. Another chance to feel...chance to feel alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Hammond View Post
                          I don't see how it'll be aerodynamic anyway. Why they didn't go the route McLaren went with the gradual slope in the nose is really beyond me.
                          The idea it seems would be to lift air over the drivers compartment, rather than have it split the driver and go over the side pods. I only had one semester of fluid dynamics in college, so I can't really speculate to exactly why the bump is better than having it smooth. Maybe I'll try running some rough tests in solidworks this weekend. Otherwise, I'm just going to assume that their engineers know what they are doing, and came up with this design because it was most efficient.
                          Josh O'Brien
                          TeamSLM.com
                          Facebook
                          @josh_obrien

Comment

Originally posted by Josh O'Brien View Post
                            The idea it seems would be to lift air over the drivers compartment, rather than have it split the driver and go over the side pods. I only had one semester of fluid dynamics in college, so I can't really speculate to exactly why the bump is better than having it smooth. Maybe I'll try running some rough tests in solidworks this weekend. Otherwise, I'm just going to assume that their engineers know what they are doing, and came up with this design because it was most efficient.
                            http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2012/0/929.html

The explanation directly from the F1 website. Basically, the nose is lowered for safety reason. Having the bump means they can have the car in front of the cockpit up where it has been in recent years, which has an aerodynamic advantage. McLaren chose to go lower to go with a normal nose, so they give up that advantage.

Comment

Looks like the designer was too lazy to design the rest of the car after the lowered nose was mandated by the FIA.

The Prancing Pony looks like a Donky.
                              Smith and Wesson.....the orginal point & click interface.

Give a person a Fish and you feed him for a day.
                              Teach a person to use the internet and they won't bother you
                              for weeks, months, maybe years.

Comment

Working...
                              X