Hit me with some SSD feedback...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hit me with some SSD feedback...

I am about to add an SSD to my desktop finally... i know way late to the party. But for a desktop and the size I want they have been to damn expensive. Finally prices have dropped to a reasonable level.

So I am trying to decide between a

SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB ($220 w/free shipping on Amazon)

or

Crucial MX100 512GB ($199 w/free shipping on Amazon)

The specs when I compare the models on Newegg are almost identical. And I have one of each of the 250GB in my laptops right now. I just cant do a really fare comparison on them because the Crucial is paired with my old Core2Duo 2.8 GHz, while the Samsung is on a i7 4700MQ. Hard to compare a 2 core vs 8 core with SSD speeds. No way to get a fair result with out a reload so I was just looking for some user feedback if any of you community guys has either of these in your rig.

Thanks.

Alright Alan the included pic shows the comparison b/t both. Honestly I'd go with the Crucial SSD simply b/c it has built-in flash memory plus a dedicated SSD controller. Both are about the same as far as the read and write speeds are concerned and read speed is what you're wanting to pay close attention to.
    Attached Files

Comment

From what I know the Samsung SSD's are top of the line at the moment in the industry in terms of life and read/write speed. But its not by a large margin I would say.

Comment

I am leaning toward the Crucial drive because of the price and I dont think the differences warrant the additional cost to the SAMSUNG. That being said I have been trying to research the standard MLC controllers vs SAMSUNGs 3D V Nand. No conclusions yet other then it will make prices fall for drives going forward because of cost to manufacture.

Comment

Originally posted by abharkl View Post
          I am leaning toward the Crucial drive because of the price and I dont think the differences warrant the additional cost to the SAMSUNG. That being said I have been trying to research the standard MLC controllers vs SAMSUNGs 3D V Nand. No conclusions yet other then it will make prices fall for drives going forward because of cost to manufacture.
          Yeah you can't go wrong with both but the Crucial seems to have the upper hand with the additional features. I myself only have a SanDisk 128gb but I only run my OS off of it.

Comment

I plan to have the primary things on the SSD, games will go to a SSHD, and all my other files on another SSHD. The Hybrid SSD drives have been very nice performance wise but its time to step to the next level. Crucial's just dropped another $3 in cost while the SAMSUNG went up $20. Made that decision easy.

This will all be on the SSD:

Win 7 Pro 64
            Office 2013
            Symantec Endpoint Protection (AV Software)
            Media Monkey
            iTunes
            Pinnacel Game Profiler
            Nero 2014
            Adobe PS CS3
            Adobe AI CS3
            Corel Draw X6
            PSP X2 and X6
            3DS Max 2012
            NASCAR Racing 2003
            Diablo 3

I am sure there will be some other stuff but thats all the big volume items. I want the everyday painting apps and one or two of my frequent games on there with room so it doesnt slow down. With a 512GB I should have room with that stuff on there.

Comment

Originally posted by abharkl View Post
              I plan to have the primary things on the SSD, games will go to a SSHD, and all my other files on another SSHD. The Hybrid SSD drives have been very nice performance wise but its time to step to the next level. Crucial's just dropped another $3 in cost while the SAMSUNG went up $20. Made that decision easy.

This will all be on the SSD:

Win 7 Pro 64
              Office 2013
              Symantec Endpoint Protection (AV Software)
              Media Monkey
              iTunes
              Pinnacel Game Profiler
              Nero 2014
              Adobe PS CS3
              Adobe AI CS3
              Corel Draw X6
              PSP X2 and X6
              3DS Max 2012
              NASCAR Racing 2003
              Diablo 3

I am sure there will be some other stuff but thats all the big volume items. I want the everyday painting apps and one or two of my frequent games on there with room so it doesnt slow down. With a 512GB I should have room with that stuff on there.
              Yeah and see all of that is about 150-200gb give or take. Just make sure you have enough room left on your SSD as to not slow your read speed down. I wanna say it's maybe a 15-20gb gap that allows the SSD to run properly.

Comment

Yep... now I just need my RMA from Newegg and I am ready to roll and order my new board, cpu and SSD.

Crucial MX100 512GB SSD
                Intel i7 4790k
                MSi Gaming 7 Z97 Motherboard

Comment

I got the Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB was on sale for $199 finally. This is going to be my new main drive, I will transition my current SSHD 1TB to my Paitning, Music and Games drive. Looking forward to the speed boost when using apps like 3ds max, PS, PSP and other drive intensive stuff.

Now I get to do a reload and rewire of the internals. Lots of fun.

Got my RMA money too. Trying to decide if I still want to buy the i7 or wait for a good sale on it.
                  Last edited by abharkl; 02-18-2015, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X