No announcement yet.

Daily Drivers, Richard's Fairy Tale & Switching to GUYCO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verrrry nice! Triumph has always had a soft spot in my heart, one day I'll have a Daytona 675 and it'll be worth it.

Until then, well, I've sold the Kawi. Picking up this beaut in about a week or so. 1987 Honda Hurricane 600 with 40k original km.....$1200! Just needs new tires.
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/domain-asse...com/banner.png

Comment

• Got it! It's in great condition, and with a new set of rubber it carves the corners well. Less power, but more torquey on the lower end so it makes up. Needs the odds and ends from sitting in storage for 4 years. Started up with a boost and some fresh gas though!

Comment

• Never thought I'd buy a Kia but here I am. 2013 Forte Koup. 2.4L 6-speed with 36k. The reverse lockout is going to take some getting used to

Comment

• I love that the state requires me to get an emissions inspection to renew the plates on a 2015.... although it is a VW...
          But the states does not require any real driver training so I see what MO cares about.
          Listen to All-Around Motorsports Podcast on iTunes
          allaroundmotorsportspod@gmail.com

"This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional bloodsport. And it can happen to you. And then it can happen to you again."
          "A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racingís important to men who do it well. When youíre racing, it... itís life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." Steve McQueen [Le Mans] 1971

Comment

• So my mom is going to be selling the family H3 in the spring along with the CRV we have. Thinking the general budget is going to be somewhere between $8-9k now. She basically just wants a CRV in a different form and potentially better on fuel this time around.

I'm perusing the classifieds to get an idea of what's next for her. Definitely going to be sticking with something Japanese.
            So far, this is my list.

- 2008 Acura RDX
            - Mid 2000s Lexus RX (Probably a 330 unless I find a 400h for cheap)
            - Fourth Gen Legacy Wagon/Outback
            - 2009 Subaru Forester
            - Newer CR-V
            - Toyota Matrix XR

Basically all of these are probably going to be around the 150k km mark.

Biggest questions I have is the difference in maintenance costs between Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus as they share similar drivetrains. The other question would be about which Subaru would give the least headaches and what would be the best on fuel as I heard some interesting things about the 2.5. I know a friend is selling an 06 Outback with the headgasket issues already taken care of.

Anything in particular I should really know?

Comment

• I have a 06 Avalon with 516k miles on it now. Still running strong. Just something to consider. Avalons are durable.

20171202_170642 by Alan Harkleroad, on Flickr
              received_1701323953232235 by Alan Harkleroad, on Flickr

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard Hammond View Post
                So my mom is going to be selling the family H3 in the spring along with the CRV we have. Thinking the general budget is going to be somewhere between $8-9k now. She basically just wants a CRV in a different form and potentially better on fuel this time around.

I'm perusing the classifieds to get an idea of what's next for her. Definitely going to be sticking with something Japanese.
                So far, this is my list.

- 2008 Acura RDX
                - Mid 2000s Lexus RX (Probably a 330 unless I find a 400h for cheap)
                - Fourth Gen Legacy Wagon/Outback
                - 2009 Subaru Forester
                - Newer CR-V
                - Toyota Matrix XR

Basically all of these are probably going to be around the 150k km mark.

Biggest questions I have is the difference in maintenance costs between Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus as they share similar drivetrains. The other question would be about which Subaru would give the least headaches and what would be the best on fuel as I heard some interesting things about the 2.5. I know a friend is selling an 06 Outback with the headgasket issues already taken care of.

Anything in particular I should really know?
                Just stay away from Subarus in general. They're just rather finicky in general, and really more of an enthusiast choice, like a Mazda. For her definitely stay in the Honda & Toyota families. Also keep in mind that the Matrix is not a crossover, it's a Corolla Hatch. Toyota just marketed it as an SUV because hatches don't sell well in America. It's the most car-like out of all you listed, and the seating position is like a traditional compact car. Overall the others provide that "upright-truck" position that have made small crossovers so popular in the States for the last decade. I think a RAV4 would fit her better in the Toyota fold.

"Cheese is one of the four pillars of the world" - Eli Silverman

Comment

• ANYWAYS DOUBLE POST

This is kinda a "call for help" post and a shameless self promotion post. As some may know I've been working on a little crappy (referring to some of the cars and the channel itself) YouTube car review channel as of late. I'm kind of at a point where if I really want to keep the channel running and continue its slow growth, I need material. I'm working towards a weekly video schedule, with every other week being a full on review unless time becomes more of an ally of mine with a shift in work schedule. I'm filming Sunday (which will probably air the week after), and filming a couple neat cars in Tennessee the week after. HOWEVER, I've had to make a deal with the owners of the TN cars to delay the airing of his cars until at least April due to some crucial business meetings on his end that he doesn't want ANY possible distractions against his favor online until it blows over.

So now Elvis is at a standstill, I really want to keep this small channel going, as it has been a small passion project of mine. I really want to get a bunch of filming done in the next couple weeks because as anyone knows, I work in NASCAR and February and March are going to be HELL on outside projects. So, would anyone in the LKN area be willing to help out and have me review their car? And it's not limited to the immediate LKN area, I kinda have a 2-hour circle I'm willing to travel to outside of Iredell County. I'm not looking for high-dollar muscle cars and exotics, I'm looking for the Corollas, the Nissans, the Chevrolets of all walks of life. I'm trying to keep my taste on the lower end for now, but a wide variety would help. Anything in the next few weeks would be a huge help, but I can schedule ahead after March if need be.

Anyways, PM me for details if you're interesting in helping out. I was on a creative high a couple of weeks ago with my 3rd official review, and as crappy as my content is the more material I can create the better I myself can get with more experience. I've been wanting to do this for a long time (Regular Car Reviews is obviously an influence on my stuff but I've been wanting to do this for longer, I just never moved forward with it until recently due to constant working), and I hope to keep doing this for years to come. I really find it rewarding as a hobby, and that's what it is, a hobby I'm really enjoying.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCc..._as=subscriber

Comment

• Another car I've factored in is the 05 Volvo V70R and V50, I believe both I've looked at are T5s. How's mid-2000s Volvo reliability? Definitely know the 90s and older are usually bulletproof.

I saw the RDX has pretty awful mileage along with any non-hybrid RX, so I'll probably stay away from those among most of the Subies. I think as long as I can find a hatch with AWD and a few amenities then she'll settle on it instead of an SUV.

Comment

• I honestly have no experience with Volvos

Comment

• Volvo's are good for the junkyards.... lol Least thats what one of the guys I work with says. He used to work at a Volvo dealer, worst years of his life.

I know your talking about older stuff but on there new stuff to get it out of Transport mode and Speed reduction mode you have to hook it up to a laptop and download a software package. Only car we deal with that has anything like that at my work and we get BMW, Mercedes, Jags, Lambos, Porches, etc.
                        Last edited by atruebudfan; 01-14-2018, 11:28 PM.

Comment

• Welp, I think we're gonna settle on a second gen Santa Fe. The V6 model has power but also can do the mid 20s for MPG. Pretty well equipped for the price and never heard a peep about poor reliability. Think it's a safe bet, and they're easy to find.

We can land an accident-free 2010 Sport model with a set of winters and summers with 180k km for like $9000 before we even negotiate price. Seems pretty good.

Comment

• Modern Hyundais aren't bad cars. They quietly built a reputation for their dependability and the crossover ought to handle well in the Northern climate.

Comment

• Originally posted by ElvisOnFire View Post
                              Modern Hyundais aren't bad cars. They quietly built a reputation for their dependability and the crossover ought to handle well in the Northern climate.
                              2 years strong on my Gen Coupe and not a single real issue with it

7-Time Champion
                              2016 Sprint Cup Series Champion

2017 O'Reilly Auto Parts 500 @ Texas Winner

Comment

• So im possibly looking to move onto a new car, dealership around me has a 2012 Audi A5 Premium Plus for 11k with 126k on the the Odometer. I know thats high mileage but Audis last awhile, is there anything I should be on the lookout for with it when I go for a test drive?

7-Time Champion
                                2016 Sprint Cup Series Champion

2017 O'Reilly Auto Parts 500 @ Texas Winner

Comment

Working...
                                X